Downtown stockton


Neurology Specialists, Urologists & Psychiatry located in Stockton, CA


Rheumatology services offered in Stockton, CA

Osteoarthritis, lupus, and rheumatoid arthritis (RA) are some of the conditions treated by the rheumatology specialists at Touro University Medical Group, with offices in Stockton, California. The team of rheumatologists diagnoses and treats diseases that affect the joints, bones, muscles, and connective tissue. They combine evidence-based medicine with patient goals to create plans that reduce symptoms and improve quality of life. To learn more about the rheumatology services at Touro University Medical Group, call our office or book an appointment online today.

Rheumatology Q & A

What is rheumatology?

Rheumatology is a specialized area of medicine that diagnoses and treats rheumatic diseases, which are disorders that affect your joints, muscles, bones, or connective tissues. 

We also diagnose and treat systemic autoimmune disorders, which are conditions in which the immune system mistakenly attacks parts of the body, causing inflammation, pain, and damage.

Rheumatologists are internal medicine physicians or pediatricians who underwent additional training in diseases that affect the musculoskeletal system. Touro University Medical Group is a group medical practice with specialists in many areas of medicine, including rheumatology.

What conditions does rheumatology treat?

Rheumatology treats any disorder that affects the structure or function of your joints, bones, muscles, ligaments, or tendons. Some of the conditions you might see a rheumatologist for include:

  • Osteoarthritis
  • Rheumatoid arthritis (RA)
  • Lupus
  • Osteoporosis
  • Fibromyalgia
  • Gout
  • Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS)
  • Lyme disease
  • Vasculitis

Some of these conditions cause a wide range of symptoms, making them hard to diagnose. Seeing a specialist can help you get the answers and treatment you need. 

Without proper care, some of these conditions may cause permanent damage to your body.

When do I need to see a rheumatology specialist?

You may need to consult with a rheumatology specialist at Touro University Medical Group if you have signs and symptoms that suggest you may have a rheumatic disorder. Some of the concerning symptoms include joint pain and swelling, unexplained fevers, and unusual rashes.

Your rheumatologist at Touro University Medical Group reviews your symptoms and medical history. They perform a physical exam and run diagnostic tests to confirm or rule out a diagnosis. Testing might include blood work and imaging tests such as X-rays, CT scans, or an MRI.

What are rheumatology treatments?

Rheumatology treatment plans depend on your diagnosis and symptoms. However, the goal of treatment is to reduce symptoms, prevent damage to your body, and improve your quality of life. 

Our team at Touro University Medical Group works closely with you when developing your treatment plan to get you the outcomes you expect.

In addition to diseases-specific medications, our rheumatologists at Touro University Medical Group may recommend physical or occupational therapy. They may also refer you to specialists who provide joint injections to manage pain and inflammation. 

To learn more about the rheumatology services at Touro University Medical Group, call our office or schedule an appointment online today.